Recommendations for the Adult Education & Lifelong Learning Sector
Information Literacy in the Adult Education & Lifelong Learning Sector – recommendations to policy makers
the GRUNDTVIG programme area
Through EMPATIC’s validation workshops, a process of consultation and the Final Conference, the following recommendations to policy makers in the adult education/Lifelong learning sector have been identified:
- Information Literacy and its specialized fields must be promoted to society, decision makers, politicians, communities and users.
- Ministries of education and lifelong learning, departments at higher educational institutions, all relevant institutions and libraries should cooperate with each other.
- National strategies should follow from development of a European scheme of IL standards, assessment types and learning outcomes.
- Lobbying for the integration of IL into Adult Education & Life Long Learning must be undertaken to the EU, national politicians, public libraries and all relevant institutions.
- Departments of Library and Information Science, information literacy professionals and all relevant bodies should work together to prepare educational content and materials related to Information Literacy.
- The learner must be more active and become a partner in the process.
- The media is very important; this can include music, radio, local newspapers, and popular activities such as drama and local associations.
- IL should be integrated into all Lifelong Learning activities that are run by various organizations in a practical way, this could be through financial information, health education, cultural information, etc.
- International cooperation concerning Adult Education and Information Literacy should be developed.
- Consequently, advocating IL must be undertaken on national, local, community and institutional levels simultaneously.
- Modern technologies to apply IL in Adult Education & Life Long Learning (e.g. Web2.0, e-conferences) must be utilized.
- Public Libraries have a very important role to play in the application of IL in Adult Education & Life Long Learning and therefore have to be helped in order to succeed in it.
The main purpose of the EMPATIC recommendations is to stimulate action
Download Recommendations for Adult Education & Lifelong Learning Sector
Translations of the recommendations are available in Greek, Italian, Polish and Turkish by clicking the language option at the top pf this page.
Web Consultation on Recommendations for the Adult Education & Lifelong Learning Sector
The consultation phase is now complete but we will be pleased to collect further comments and suggestions on the recommendations or indeed for any aspect of EMPATIC via email at email@example.com