Recommendations for the Vocation Education & Training Sector
Information Literacy in the vocational education and training sector (VET) - recommendations to policy makers
the Leonardo da vinci programme area
Through EMPATIC’s validation workshops, a process of consultation and a Final Conference the following recommendations to policy makers in the VET sector have been identified:
- National VET policies should be developed and information literacy must be a vital part of these policies.
- Awareness of IL should be created for society, decision makers, politicians and users. In this context, ministries of education, librarians’ associations, departments of information management at universities and all relevant institutions should cooperate with each other.
- Information literacy should be integrated into the official lifelong learning programs of ministries of education.
- Information literacy should be integrated into the VET activities arranged by municipalities, ministries, universities and the other institutions. In this framework, IL should be connected to municipalities and ministries.
- Social awareness of literacy should be included within work culture and the way employers view it; VET provides a mobile work force and innovative economy within Europe.
- In cooperation with library associations, Departments of Information Management and other relevant parties at universities should organize projects and curriculum about information literacy-VET to fulfil the holistic education of trainers.
- Educational content and appropriate materials related to information literacy in VET should be prepared.
- Courses should be organized through cooperation with public libraries to provide people with competence in information literacy.
- Ministries should give appropriate consideration and recognition to the attendance and experience in education on information literacy and VET when considering workers’ careers.
- Awareness of IL is necessary at all levels; national, local and institutional bodies must work together.
- Lobbying for IL in VET (and indeed all sectors of education) should be made to national government and EU politicians.
- International projects and cooperation concerning VET and information literacy should be developed.
- Distance education possibilities for IL in VET must be explored and fully utilized.
The main purpose of the EMPATIC recommendations is to stimulate action
Download Recommendations for Vocation Education & Training Sector
Translations of the recommendations are available in Greek, Italian, Polish and Turkish by clicking the language option at the top pf this page.
Web Consultation on Recommendations for the Vocation Education & Training Sector
The consultation phase is now complete but we will be pleased to collect further comments and suggestions on the recommendations or indeed for any aspect of EMPATIC via email at firstname.lastname@example.org